At Needle-Nose Greyhound Adoption, we commit to every single dog we bring up from a racetrack for the life of the dog. We do our very best to make sure that each dog is going into a loving home that understands the needs of the retired racing greyhound.
Our adoption process
- Download our membership form and adoption application using any PDF viewer such as Adobe Acrobat Reader. Mail the completed forms along with a $30 cheque payable to Needle-Nose Greyhound Adoption to the address at the bottom of the form. Alternatively, you can e-mail the completed forms and use PayPal to send the $30 membership fee to firstname.lastname@example.org. (More information about using PayPal can be found here.) Membership fees are refundable in the event that an adoption does not take place.
- Upon receiving your application, you will be contacted by one of our adoption representatives to set up a home visit. This is a great time to ask any questions you may have and to meet one of these wonderful greyhounds in your home.
- After we have talked to your references and your home is approved, a profile for a dog that will best suit your home will be sent down to our contacts at the track. They will pick out a dog for you based on the profile of your family. When the dog arrives in Canada he/she will be put into one of our foster homes where the profile will be verified and the transition from working track dog to pet will begin.
- Whether the dog needs to be vetted here in Canada or has had his/her vetting done in the U.S. will help to determine how long your dog will be in foster care. One to three weeks is usual.
- Once your dog is ready to go into your home we will deliver him/her to you. The adoption fee will then be required.
- The waiting period for a dog is usually between 4 and 8 weeks. However, it can take longer, depending on a variety of factors. We will do our best to let you know how long we expect your adoption to take place when you are approved. Please note: While we do accept applications year round, we do NOT place dogs in the month of December.
Our adoption fee is currently $400. Recently, for the first time since we began finding homes for retired racing greyhounds, we have needed to increase our adoption fee to keep up with increasing costs. These are primarily related to transportation expenses as well as recent changes to Canadian border crossing procedures resulting in higher importation costs for greyhounds entering from the US. We thank you for your understanding! Your adoption fee covers all of these costs in addition to vet care your dog receives, transportation to Canada, a martingale collar, a leash, and a basket-style muzzle. The vet care will include spay/neuter, dental, fecal test, heartworm test, and vaccinations including rabies and anything else that is determined by the vet to be needed. All Needle-Nose dogs will be dewormed, “de-fleaed” and “de-ticked.”