At Needle-Nose Greyhound Adoption, we commit to every single dog we bring up from a racetrack for the life of the dog. We do our very best to make sure that each dog is going into a loving home that understands the needs of the retired racing greyhound.
Our adoption process
- Download our membership form and adoption application using any PDF viewer such as Adobe Acrobat Reader. Mail the completed forms along with a $30 cheque payable to Needle-Nose Greyhound Adoption to the address at the bottom of the form. Alternatively, you can e-mail the completed forms and use PayPal or e-Transfer to send the $30 membership fee to email@example.com. (More information about using PayPal can be found here.) Membership fees are refundable in the event that an adoption does not take place.
- Upon receiving your application, you will be contacted by one of our adoption representatives to set up a home visit. This is a great time to ask any questions you may have and to meet one of these wonderful greyhounds in your home.
- After we have talked to your references and your home is approved, a profile for a dog that will best suit your home will be sent down to our contacts at the track. They will pick out a dog for you based on the profile of your family. When the dog arrives in Canada he/she will be put into one of our foster homes where the profile will be verified and the transition from working track dog to pet will begin.
- Whether the dog needs to be vetted here in Canada or has had his/her vetting done in the U.S. will help to determine how long your dog will be in foster care. One to three weeks is usual.
- Once your dog is ready to go into your home we will deliver him/her to you. The adoption fee will then be required.
- The waiting period for a dog is usually between 4 and 8 weeks. However, it can take longer, depending on a variety of factors. We will do our best to let you know how long we expect your adoption to take place when you are approved. Please note: While we do accept applications year round, we do NOT place dogs in the month of December.
Our adoption fee is currently $400. Your adoption fee covers the vet care your dog receives, transportation to Canada, a martingale collar, a leash, and a basket-style muzzle. The vet care will include spay/neuter, dental, fecal test, heartworm test, and vaccinations including rabies and anything else that is determined by the vet to be needed. All Needle-Nose dogs will be dewormed, “de-fleaed” and “de-ticked.”